This wiki is the basis for a campaign by library associations and teacher librarians to bring parents into the discussion about the future of school libraries.I feel confident that our school library provides most of the ten point checklist provided for parents.
Unfortunately we are only a four day a week library due to our school size so we do not open on Fridays.
What do you think?
How does your school library measure up?
The 10-point checklist for parents
* There is a qualified teacher librarian managing the library
* The library is open whenever the school is open
* Students learn information processing skills in the school library
* Students can borrow the resources they need, when they need them
* There aren’t long waiting lists for popular fiction
* There’s more than enough space for a whole class to fit into the library
* There is high speed access to the internet
* Students are encouraged to use online electronic resources, not just Google
* There are special activities eg for Book Week, the Premier’s Reading Challenge
* Your child thinks the library is ‘awesome’
Check out their new What a difference a school library makes facebook page.